Flash drive test results
Results of attempts to use various flash media as drives in Macs. Other media types can be included (ie IDE on SCSI adapters, etc.)
Please copy and paste the blank line at the bottom, then enter your data above it. That way everyone will have a template they can use.
If you have a full page of test results with speeds etc, please link it, for now.
Please try to use consistent names for models of Mac, adapters, media, software etc, as this will help with table sorting.
|Flash type||Brand||Model||Size MB||DMA/ UDMA||Adapter||Adapter||Port||Mac||OS||Seen ||OEM data ||Format||Formatted with ||VM/ swap||Boot||Note||Links||Tested by|
|ATA_Flash PC_Card||Cisco||-||1000||-||-||-||Cardbus ||PB Lombard||10.2.8||Y||||HFS+||Disk Utility||-||N||thanks coius!||-||Bunsen|
|ATA_Flash PC_Card||Cisco||-||1000||-||-||-||Cardbus ||PB Lombard||9.2.2||Y||||HFS+||Drive Setup||-||N||thanks coius!||-||Bunsen|
|CF||Kingston||Ultra 100x||1024||N||CF-PCMCIA Generic||PCMCIA-SCSI Adtron||SCSI||LC 475||8.1||Y||-||HFS||Disk Utility 10.5.6||Y||Y||-||-||register|
|CF||Kingston||Ultra 100x||1024||N||CF-PCMCIA Generic||-||PCMCIA||PB 1400||8.1 + 9.2.2||Y||-,||HFS+||Disk Utility 10.5.6||Y||Y||||-||register|
|CF||Kingston||-||128||N||CF-2.5"IDE Generic||-||internal IDE||PB 1400||8.1 + 9.2.2||Y||, ||HFS+||Disk Utility 10.5.6||Y ||N||||-||register|
|SDHC||Intenso||-||4096||N||SDHC-PCMCIA Delock||-||PCMCIA||PB 1400||8.1 + 9.2.2||Y||, ||HFS+||Disk Utility 10.5.6||Y||Y||||-||register|
|CF||Kingston||Ultra 100x||1024||N||CF-PCMCIA Generic||PCMCIA-SCSI Adtron||SCSI||G3 DT||8.1||Y||-||HFS+||Disk Utility 10.5.6||Y||Y||-||-||register|
|SDHC||Intenso||-||4096||N||SDHC-PCMCIA Delock||PCMCIA-SCSI Adtron||SCSI||LC 475||8.1||Y||-||HFS||Disk Utility 10.5.6||Y||Y||-||-||register|
- In device table, SCSI Probe, System Profiler, Drive Setup, on desktop - anywhere really
- As shown in Apple System Profiler or other hardware diagnostic
- unless shown, version matches OS
- Due to reliability concerns, the use of consumer-grade flash as virtual memory or swap space is debated
- Will try in a 16 bit slot and see if it helps (ie in a 1400)
- ASP v3.0.1: Model:TXN,PCI1210-00 Vendor:104c Device:ac1e
- Bad blocks, many failed installs, attempted repairs. One apparently successful install: volume still not available in Startup Disk. Later; seen in SD, selected, system no found on reboot; reverts to OS X boot which crashes partway through. reset-nvram required to restore normal OS X boot. Reformatted with Drive Setup under OS 9.2.2, zero all data. Drive now appears clean, but results are the same. A blessed system folder, but not selectable from OS 9 Startup Disk CP. It is selectable from OS X Startup Disk prefpane, but on reboot results are as before. My provisional conclusion is that this particular card had some bad blocks to begin with, but that this is not the ultimate problem; for unknown reasons PCMCIA ATA Flash is not bootable.
- ASP v2.6.3 PC Card 2 ID = 0 Hard drive Removable media: No Vendor: Seagate Revision number: 06.12.06 Product ID: Flash 7.4.0
- Adtron SDDS Cardpak™ 3.5" form factor PCMCIA memory card reader for the SCSI bus.
- Disk Utility v. 10.5.6 ships with Mac OS X 10.4.11. To format the storage media with a recent version of Disk Utility provides smooth operation when data is exchanged between old an new systems by swapping media.
- Data obtained with Apple System Profiler v. 1.3.2. Apple System Profiler v. 2.6.3 crashes on a Power Book 1400 with Mac OS 9.2.2, but v. 1.3.2 is quite usable.
- To prevent auto eject of the PCMCIA card on shutdown/restart install Mac OS 8.1 directly onto the CF card, without driver update. Copy desired System version to the card, afterwards.
- Type: harddisk, Bus: ATA Bus, ID: 0, Capacity: 122.2 MB, Vendor: Hitachi XX.V.18.104.22.168, Product ID: -, Revision: Rev. 0.00, Connection: ATA, Removable: N (in fact the medium IS marked as removable at boot time), Partitions: 1
- In this setup I use the CF card exclusively for VM, to round out the inbuilt amount of DRAM.
- VM works, but drive is not cold bootable as it is not recognised by ROM driver. Hot boot after loading appropriate driver works, however, verified with Mac OS 8.1 install CD (version for PowerMac G3 beige desktop).
- Delock PCMCIA PC-Card CardReader, 16-Bit PC-Card, 33 in 1 CardReader
- Type: PC Card, Bus: PC Card, ID: 0, Capacity: 3,7 GB, Vendor: Memory Card Adapter, Product ID: -, Revision: 67281306, Connection: ATA, Removable: Y, Partitions: 1